Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day 10, 1,542 pages

Day 10 : July 2nd, 2011
Current Book : Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, page 457
Total pages read : 1,542 of 4,100 (38% completed)


     I'm still in Goblet of Fire, I last left off about a month before the 2nd task. Zach and I were talking about this, but Jo is such a great writer that you really feel what her characters are feeling. My heart was racing when Harry was sitting in the tent waiting for the 1st task to begin! But seriously, the humor in this book continues to just completely catch me off guard! This book is hilarious.
     In my opinion, the 3rd and 4th movies are the worst. I think I'm lead to believe this just because they were so funky and different from the books. Again, I understand that things won't stay exactly the same when you go from a book to a movie, but there was too much warping of the story in the 3rd, and same goes for the 4th. 


     One of the significant differences I've realized in GoF is Dumbledore's reaction to Harry. "Did you put your name into the Goblet of Fire, Harry?" he asked calmly. is the quote from the book. In the movie, Dumbledore absolutely freaks out. Here's a clip ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG5fr3ldcpk  (you only need to watch the first few seconds... it loops) Of course, this brings up the perpetual Michael Gambon vs. Richard Harris debate. But this doesn't have anything to do with the actor, the script obviously called for the actor to be anything but calm. I just don't like when the movies are so contradictory, it can change your perception of the characters.
    "Yeah, it can see through Invisibility Cloaks," Moody said quietly. This is the second time I remember someone seeing through Harry's cloak, the first was in the 3rd book when the minister and Dumbledore come to Hagrid's hut. The trio are hiding under the cloak, and Dumbledore looks straight at them. But... I thought in the 7th book, it's said that the cloak is completely impenetrable! We'll have to check that out later.


     Ron suggests that Ginny could go to the Yule Ball with Harry. "I can't," said Ginny, and she went scarlet too. "I'm going with --- with Neville. He asked me when Hermione said no, and I thought...well... I'm not going to be able to go otherwise, I'm not in fourth year." She looked extremely miserable. "I think I'll go and have dinner," she said, and she got up and walked off to the portrait hole, her head bowed. Ron goggled at Harry. "What's got into them?" he demanded. Haha the whole Yule Ball chapter was great! As a re-reader, I know who everyone's gonna end up with. So it was interesting to see Ginny upset that she was so close to being able to go with Harry, and to see Ron get angry at Hermione without realizing that he's angry because he has feelings for her.


     "But Ron was staring at Hermione as though suddenly seeing her in a whole new light. "Hermione, Neville's right --- you are a girl..." "Oh, well spotted," she said acidly." This is probably the beginning of Ron starting to see Hermione ...well, as Jo put it, in a whole new light! He obviously doesn't understand now, but throughout the next two books, and finally, in the 6th book--- well... he dates Lavender Brown. Okay, he's dumb. But he eventually gets there.


     "---that revolting Skeeter woman buzzing around---" Percy said at one point in a rant about his job, the Ministry, Mr. Crouch, etc. I'm loving the subtle hints that are being dropped, we later find out that Rita Skeeter is an Animagus who turns into a beetle.


    Goofy quotes! "He sounds exactly like Moody," said Harry quietly, tucking the letter away again inside his robes. "'Constant vigilance!' You'd think I walk around with my eyes shut, banging off the walls . . ." (DAWN!)


     "Dobby looked suddenly nervous and beckoned Harry closer. Harry bent forward. Dobby whispered, "He said we is free to call him a --- a barmy old codger if we likes, sir!" Dobby gave a frightened sort of giggle."


     "Percy wouldn't recognize a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby's tea cozy!"


     Only 2,558 pages to go!

1 comment:

Zach said...

The invisibility cloak thing is interesting. We'll have to pay attention to exactly what is said about it, keeping in mind whether it seems to be fact or just speculation on Harry's part (or anyone else's). The one thing we know for sure about the cloak is that it's lasted a reeeeeally long time, and Hermione says that's unusual because they usually wear out. As far as it being impenetrable, we'll see what they say.