Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 5, 982 pages

Day 5 : Monday, June 27th, 2011
Current Book : Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, page 332
Total pages read : 982 out of 4100 (24% completed)


     I love this book! Prisoner of Azkaban used to be my least favorite... now it's growing on me more. I'm basically at the part right before they all journey to the Shrieking Shack, it's about to get really good. I just took a break, and when I came back I looked at my book and started laughing out loud... it looks like I'm reading it for school or something! 
     The red tab is my awesome bookmark, the blue sticky-note is the one I use to mark the place I need to read up to each day. The orange sticky-notes are what I use to remember the important things I want to blog about here, and the yellow sticky-notes are ones I put in there years ago when I was comparing the 3rd book to its movie. Reading Harry Potter is not a joke ;)

     So, things that have caught my attention thus far! The first is when Sirius sneaks into the school and students speculate that he could've Apparated in. Hermione quickly clears this up with her Hogwarts A History knowledge by saying "The castle's protected by more than walls, you know ... there are all sorts of enchantments on it, to stop people entering by stealth. You can't just Apparate in here ... They'd have seen him fly in too." This made me think of the end of the 6th book where Dumbledore and Harry Apparate into Hogsmeade (which is allowed), then quickly fly up to Hogwarts. Dumbledore has to mutter spells to lower the enchantments so they can safely pass thru to Hogwarts. Huh, well there have been plenty of times that people've flown into Hogwarts without those enchantments stopping them. Ron and Harry flew the Ford Anglia in and Charlie flew in to retrieve Norbert(a). There are also a few times where people fly freely out, like when Sirius escapes on Buckbeak, the gang flies to the Ministry in the 5th book, and when Fred and George Weasley leave Hogwarts on broomsticks in the 5th book. Maybe it doesn't really matter for people leaving, but still, there are a lot of cases where people freely entered. Thoughts?
     In the Hogsmeade conversation where the adults unknowingly inform Harry about Sirius' supposed betrayal of the Potters, Hagrid talks about Sirius' giving him his flying motorcycle. "I shoulda known there was somethin' fishy goin' on then ... what was he givin' it ter me for? ... Fact is, it was too easy to trace." But, was it? That's what Harry and Hagrid ride in the beginning of the 7th book because it's a method of transportation that isn't able to be traced by the Ministry. Though, I'm thinking Hagrid might be saying "trace" in the sense that there aren't a lot of flying motorcycles around, even in the wizarding world. So people might've been able to quickly identify it as Sirius' bike. Maybe.
     Next, one of Harry's dreams is being described. "He was walking through a forest, his Firebolt over his shoulder, following something silvery-white. It was winding its way through the trees ahead, and he could only catch glimpses of it between the leaves. Anxious to catch up with it, he sped up, but as he moved faster, so did his quarry. Harry broke into a run, and ahead he heard hooves gathering speed. Now he was running flat out, and ahead he could hear galloping. Then he turned a corner into a clearing and ----" he wakes up. This reminded me a LOT of when Harry follows the doe Patronus through the Forest of Dean to find the Sword of Gryffindor in the pond. He didn't have his Firebolt, and Patronuses don't make noise as far as I remember, but still, this dream seems like some big foreshadowing. I'll have to check that out once I get to the 7th book.
     Another one that just straight-up made me laugh out loud. ""Ah, well, people can be a bit stupid abou' their pets," said Hagrid wisely. Behind him, Buckbeak spat a few ferret bones onto Hagrid's pillow." Hahaha that's just so Hagrid.
         These last two are going a little more into Dawn's territory with the whole relationship thing, but I'll give it a go. Each is a moment I found funny about each couple.  First is after the Quidditch match where the Dementors enter the field and Harry falls off his Nimbus. He's in the Hospital Wing and it says "Ginny Weasley, blushing furiously, turned up with a get-well card she had made herself, which sang shrilly unless Harry kept it shut under his bowl of fruit." I'm sorry, but I just had to burst out laughing on that one. In the past 3 books there have been plenty of hints toward Ginny crushing on Harry and I didn't want to take note of all of them (again, Dawn will!) but this one was just so great I had to talk about it.
     The second relationship quote is where Ron resolves to help Hermione prepare Hagrid to Buckbeak's appeal. "You won't have to do all the work along this time, Hermione. I'll help." "Oh, Ron!" Hermione flung her arms around Ron's neck and broke down completely. Ron, looking quite terrified, patted her very awkwardly on the top of the head." This falls in line with what I said in a comment on Dawn's blog post. I basically said that Ron and Harry are being protective over Hermione and Ginny, but the feelings haven't really kicked in yet. It's still just subconscious. Hermione and Ginny (Ginny especially) have a better understanding of where their emotions are leading them. Bottom line, nobody full-on knows, but the girls are way closer to knowing what they want than the boys are. It'll be great seeing all of this take shape over the next few books!


Only 3,118 pages to go!

2 comments:

dpgryffindor92 said...

I guess that I didn't post it lols. Anyway I think maybe Dumby had to mutter all of those charms under him breath because of the extra protection they put around the castle that year because of Voldy. On the foreshadowing thing, good job! I think you might be on to something there. He definitely never hears galloping because Patronus' don't make noise, but Harry can't catch the doe when he sees in for real in the forest. Good work on the relationship things as well :)

Zach said...

2 things. 1st: I also thought of the silver doe in Deathly Hallows when he dreamed this!! Interesting. You wonder if she did that on purpose.

2nd: About flying...very interesting. It doesn't sound like you *can't* fly into Hogwarts -- Hermione just says "someone would have seen him," and there are way too many examples of flying in and out of Hogwarts. The only inconsistency would appear to be Dumbledore's chanting in the 6th one when they fly in -- but I'm pretty sure Harry just *assumes* that that's what Dumbledore's doing. He very well might have been muttering to himself, or doing some other sort of spell. We'll have to pay attention to that part in book 6.