Friday, June 24, 2011

Day 1, 71 pages

Day 1 : Thursday, June 23rd, 2011
Current Book: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, page 71
Total pages read: 71 out of 4100 (2% completed)


     So I recently decided that I'm going to take on the task of reading all 7 Harry Potter books before the premiere of the 8th and final movie of the series. The catch is that there are only 21 days until it's time to head out for the premiere! I've read all the books more than once, and I think that at one point I've read them all again in order, but I can't remember when it was or if I actually did it! Erin gave me the idea to blog about this experience, and Zach convinced me to actually do it. So I am! Partially because... it'll be awesome. And mostly because it'll be motivation to actually finish all 7 books in time for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II. Entries might technically be posted a day late sometimes just because I'll probably read when I'm in bed. So I'll be posting the next morning before I pick up reading again. 


     So today I only read 71 pages because I started later in the day. Before I began reading, I was afraid that the books would seem foreign to me because it's been a while since I've read some of them. But they're not foreign at all! Some things I had forgotten, obviously, but it feels like remembering good times with an old friend more than anything. 
     I have found, though, that the movies have somewhat warped my memory of what actually happens. Just little things. In the movies when Hagrid reveals to Harry that he's a wizard he says "Yer a wizard, Harry!". It's about as quotable as "Luke--I am your father"! And that's the way it's stuck in my mind. But in the books, Hagrid actually says "Harry----yer a wizard". Just silly little things like that.
     Right now, Harry is out of the Dursley's house and is with Hagrid. They're juuuust about to enter into Diagon Alley... and then the fun begins!
     But bottom line... I'm excited! Tomorrow is the last day of teaching Religious Ed, and after that I'll have a lot more free time to just read (minus when I go on a retreat from July 8th to July 10th, but I'll figure it out). Tomorrow begins the hardcore reading! 
     Stay tuned. Only 4,029 pages to go!

No comments: